Sunday, October 5, 2008

It could happen to YOU!

Saturdays at Winco (local cheap grocery store...you all have one of those! Macey's in Logan, Market Basket in Boston, Winco in Reno), are always crowded...I NEVER go on Saturdays!! However...did you know that the FIRST Saturday of the month might be even WORSE?!!



You may find crowded aisles, people stopped with their carts in front of what you need to get and you patiently wait, and when it's YOUR turn some old guy in a striped t-shirt might just start huffing at you. And a little later might do the same thing to your son who has a second cart helping you grocery shop while your husband is in Japan.

And when you FINALLY make it to the checkout line you might be a little irritated that two little girls that you MAY have let go to the Dollar Store next door with instructions to meet up with you in the grocery store have STILL not come back...well you might just be a little more irrate when an even younger little girl announces that she needs to go potty yet AGAIN and you can't leave your cart/food.

You might even have two full grocery carts that will need to be transported an hour away & so properly packed away. You may have a wonderful boy who is helping a whole bunch with all of this.

And then it MIGHT happen to you!! You may be so caught up in trying to hurry and get all of your groceries packed up that you forget to move your cart so the person behind you can move their cart to the other side (because Winco the customer bags their own groceries & one register runs two conveyer belts at the same time). And some big scary/ornery Mr. Clean Man may give you the stare down and snap, "Could you MOVE you know I have to load MY groceries TOO!" And you truly can't figure out how the three feet to the side of you is too small for this man to pass by (you completely forget about the cart!)




And you may decide that HE'S not going to intimidate YOU! And you just move as close to the side as you can and say, "I'd be happy to let you by." (you may say it in a I'll-take-you-on tone rather than a sweet I'm-so-sorry tone...seriously you might do that)

You may not notice the wife behind him glaring at you with her cart. You may even still keep bagging and THEN notice the wife as she goes around the OTHER way and then SLAMS (she SERIOUSLY may *slam* it!) the cart into the center of the bagging area. They may even stand opposite you and both glare at you and then start ripping into you and letting you know that YOU are the SCUM of the earth!!!

You may even have visions of yourself jumping over the conveyer belt to start pounding on the Mr. Clean couple. But instead you probably just keep going about your business and TRY to hurry and get your stuff bagged and get AWAY. You may snap back a couple of responses to them too.

Your son may even say to you, "I really want to say a swear word at them right now."

When the cashier is done ringing up their groceries they may say to her, "Well I can't use the debit machine because SHE won't MOVE her cart!!!" (You may secretly find it funny that your cart isn't even in front of the machine.) And you may even then to decide to REALLY be a pain to them and move your cart out of the way...first you may move your sons cart against the wall and then you may move your cart to the end (where EVERY single other time you've been to the store you probably put it), where it now might be next to their cart (which they put in the middle) and so your cart now HAS no choice but to block half of the aisle, and as chance MIGHT have it the people at the aisle next to you have their cart blocking the other half and there is only now a foot of space between...but hey you MOVED your cart like they asked!!! (and while doing this you may have said, "okay...I'll move my cart for you and now you'll REALLY be blocked in!!")

And then after they finally leave (after still cussing you out), you may be shaking so hard from FUMING...the NERVE of some people!!! (What happened to, "excuse me please, but I can't get my cart past you because you have yours blocking the aisle"...you may think to yourself would that be sooo hard????)

And then you may timidly look up at the cashier who witnessed the whole thing, and you may wonder if she thought you were such a horrible person for not noticing that you were blocking the aisle with your cart. Your heart may just feel a little lighter and your hands may shake a little less if she said, "they were so rude...he never asked you nice or anything."

You may now realize that your girls have still not returned and so your son runs to look for them as you try and muster two full carts out of the probably over-crowded store.

As you get outside you may see the girls standing near a post and they may run up to you and then STOP dead in their tracks right in front of the train of very heavy groceries you are sandwiched between...you may even mutter a little loud under your breath, "oh you'd better MOVE out of MY WAY!" And you may look up and notice a nice old guy pushing his cart in front of the girls and you may notice him kind of glance back and then hurry and push his cart to the side with a questioning look on his face. As you go buy you may touch his arm and say, "I wasn't talking to you...I was talking to my girls." And he may smile at you and say, "Well I mind well!!" He may just make you laugh after the diabolic shopping trip!

It might just happen...really!!!

3 comments:

Iverson Family said...

Holy Cow what an experience! I am surprised you didn't loose it on that nasty couple. It would have taken all I had not to lay into them! Good for you for not!

Candy said...

seriously? that is ridiculous! I'm so sorry that you had to go through that! Sounds like you hung in there good, I think I would have cried when I left the store, I don't do good when people are angry with me. They got some mean points in heaven for sure. :)

nevadanista said...

And you may run into trashy people every time you shop at Winco, and you may ask yourself if the lower prices are worth the trouble, especially if you ever shop at the one on McCarren. But then when you shop at Safeway, you may realize that having every employee smile say hello to you, and having your groceries bagged by someone else is super expensive, and so you may find yourself shopping at Winco again next time with all the trashy people, even though you may not want to.