Saturday, August 30, 2008

First Report Card

The school year has officially begun (sob). For the most part everything is new this year...so it all began with a sense of wonder, fear & trepidation.

Austin began high school this year...I know WE can't believe it either! Still no growth spurt to speak of, so he is in the low 1% in height in the whole school. With high school comes early morning seminary and so a new schedule for the Bassett clan which leaves us all with zombie-ish demeanor and dark circles under the dark circles under our eyes. (YAWN) He's in the band playing trumpet and didn't realize that he has to play at all of the games...hehe!

Austin's report: It was okay. It was NEW. It was school (as he enunciates the ssss part of it and adds, "I said SSSchool not cool, okay?!")

Joslyn is officially in middle school. We were so excited to find out that she had the same group of teachers as Austin (in fact...Austin had four teachers in his group and really liked two of them, was fine with one of them and hated the last of them. This year they have the teachers in pairs and she got our two favorites!!!). We had a meet your teacher night and said hi to our new teachers. She's so lucky that all of them really liked Austin...wouldn't you hate to be in a class where the teacher hated your sibling & now YOU got to deal with it?! I remember a couple of teachers knowing my brother (considering he's 6 1/2 years older than me that is saying something), but I never could tell if that was a good or if was a bad thing. I guess Joslyn's most exciting part of middle school is that she now has her own phone (we often hear different ring tones playing...not from getting phone calls, just so people will notice that she has her own phone :)) She is also playing in the band...flute is her game.

Joslyn's Report: It was GREAT!

Drew is in 3rd grade this year. She took 3rd grade math last year and has that same math teacher this year. She loves her and is so excited! This is of course the child who was truly sad to see school come to an end & was up at the crack of dawn on the first day of school. This is her first year at school on her own...in fact it's Joslyn's first year on HER own as well.

Drew's Report: it was...good

Ellie starts pre-school next week and is very excited. One of her friends from church is in her class which will hopefully help with her shyness (SHOCKing that one of my kids is shy...NOT!)

Chloe is stuck with me 24/7. She is devastated any time she sees one of the kids leave and gives a high pitched scream followed by a slew of nonsense gibberish. She is finally used to them playing soccer...before she would scream that they were on the field and signal them to come here with her hand (one of my favorite things that she does).

Scott started school this week as well. He taught on Tuesday afternoon and then flew out to San Diego until Thursday when he flew back in time to teach two more classes and get home at about 9pm...totally WIPED out & then up sick all night. See next edition for more on "The Epidemic".

We're happy to be back on a schedule (or is that only mom??), but I miss the kids horribly while they are gone & am anxious when I pick them up every day HOPING and PRAYING that the day went well.

1 comments:

Tori Mitchell said...

Austin started HIGHschoool! I can't believe how fast time goes. I am sorry everyone was so sick and I hope you don't have to deal with it all school year again!