This year I have 4 kids playing soccer...and I can't believe that it's not as bad as I thought...in fact almost everything that COULD go right has!!! There are often two games going at the same time...the beauty of it is that the two kids having a game at the same time have fields right next to each other and so I can sit in the middle and watch both at the same time. Here in Fern-tucky we have a giant field (everyone calls them the "soccer fields") and they have it set up so there are at least 7 different fields. There are about 6 feet inbetween the fields where the parents all sit & cheer/yell/scream, whistles blowing all over the place so that I can't tell which ref it is (& neither can the kids a lot of the time). In years past I have had games playing at the same time and they are at opposite ends of the giant field.
Ellie is playing her first year. She has always played around the house with the kids & loved it & we thought that she was a natural...I mean she could dribble the ball and everything! We were all excited to see just how this whole thing would pan out. Practices went wellll, not the best but well. She would play with the kids, but was a bit shy.
Scott had to work on the night of her first game so I was there on my own & she was acting like she had a sugar low when we arrived & I have her a snack and sent her out. She wasn't going to go...threats were made of the no-playing-at-the-playground-after-the-game type...no go...bribes were made of the you-can-have-a-special-treat type (usually a BIG one for her!)...nope...finally mom just laid down the law and said, "You wanted to play and so we signed you up...now you are part of a team and you don't have a choice so you WILL play!" She went on the field and just looked at the ground and occasionally moved to different areas of the field. Sighhh I kept my word though and we didn't play at the park or have a special treat (and dang it I REALLY wanted a special treat!!)
Game #2 mom went to watch the kids in their first performance of Peter Pan with Chloe while dad did the soccer bit. He called part way through and was so frustrated that she wouldn't even GO on the field this time. He couldn't get the threat/bribe thing to work and didn't know about the "law". When we got home from the play Ellie was in her room asleep (you know the fall asleep crying bit) & dad had taken away her uniform and soccer ball if she wasn't going to play..."OHHHH NOOOOOO WAY" I said! & not because that was too mean...but the "law" states that once you sign up you don't have the CHOICE!!! (I was afraid she would be relieved by not having to play!!! & the sad part is that her team is supposed to have 5 players but one moved away & so they only have 4 & they need everyone)
The next day they had a quick practice & Ellie was ALLLL over it! She was playing, giggling, having SOOO much fun (the coach looked at me and asked, "What's the difference with today?!" Later she also was laughing about how Scott was being so nice about her not playing & letting her sit out while trying to talk her into playing (& you KNOW he was BOILING inside!!!) and she just thought...oh MOM would just make her play and threaten her with her LIFE!!...is that sad that that's how I'm seen??!! or is it normal??!!)
Game #3 dad was working again & there was much talk prior to the game about playing with your team and how much fun it was at practice & a GAME could be fun too! "Is dad going to be there??" "No...he's at work...but, maybe he'll make it back early to watch part of it." "I'll only play if dad isn't there." I was so tempted to call Scott and say DON'T COME TO THE GAME!!!! She was treat and so we made some cookie suckers & were off to the game. She played from the get-go & had a BLAST!!! Dad didn't make it until the game was over so he didn't get to see the turn around. She even kicked the ball a couple of times...for the most part she followed the pack running around. They are so cute at this age!!!
The fourth game went just as smoothly and she now loves to play soccer!! Woohoooo!! (Drew was much the same...only took MUCH longer to break!) Scott even showed up for the last half of the game & she was VERY happy to see him! All battles over...everyone a winner!
8 months ago








2 comments:
You rock! I'm so impressed. That's great that they are playing soccer close to each other. Out here sports are on fields all over town(s) & it gets pretty crazy. Ellie's progression is a crack up to read. You're an awesome mommy.
And I was complaining about one in soccer........you rock Ferntucky woman!
Post a Comment