Friday, September 19, 2008

A day in the life...

Okay Annie...here goes your tag...I'm sure I'll forget most of what I have done in a week...but it definitely has the boring day to day stuff!!

We wake up around 5 or 5:20 (closer to 5:20 the later it gets in the week!), Austin & Scott get ready and I make breakfast (I need new ideas too!!). We made a deal last year that I would make breakfast and then everyone would read scriptures and have family prayer before they left. It worked great!! Austin leaves the house now at 6am and we just can't get it together...need a new plan!

Feed kids, unload dishwasher, & get ready then go pick up Austin from seminary and take him to the high school and then drop Joslyn off at middle school on the way back. Home to feed the last two kiddos & eat breakfast myself (I can't eat for an hour after I get up because of my meds). Pick up what I can...try to get in a job like vacuum, sweep, start laundry, etc. before I scramble to get the little ones ready for the day and we run out the door...either to pick up a friend and go to pre-school or go to work for the day. (Usually by 8 or thereafter).

I work until 11 or 11:30 & then we go home to eat some lunch...continue trying to get some jobs done...hmmm maybe today is the big one--the BATHROOMS! Some days we'll run to Wal-mart and come away curious at how MUCH I spent and how LITTLE I came away with!!! (I think I need to go back to my WinCo schedule of shopping!)

Pretty soon it's time to run pick up Austin & Joslyn from school. And now comes the RUSH...TRRRYYYYY to get the kids to accomplish something! Like get homework done, do jobs, make beds, pick up clothes (nothing HARD!!!!! but why do they THINK it is?!), and as Drew wanders in the door we are now ready to figure out what we're going to have for dinner & then get organized for going to dance or soccer or mutual or activity days for the evening. On average we have 4-6 soccer games per week and 4-6 practices. Add special band performances, dance recitals, art (hopefully soon Annie!), and play practices (starting up soon!). Don't forget 3 hr primary meetings & secretary stuff (although I kind of like that stuff!) & back to school nights & buy stuff for new clubs, and the ever elusive VTing...we talk a lot about getting it done & we TRY.

We get home and somewhere in all of this we have some dinner and get Ellie a snack and do shots and TRY to remember to brush/floss everyones teeth (okay so I really only do two of them...but WHY IS it hard to remember??? I'm with you on that one Annie!)

Try and get everyone to bed by 8:30...IN bed & trying to SLEEP! And then make sure I remembered shots & get Chloe to bed...get her a binkie, pajamas, blankie & milk and lay on my bed watching tv with Scott.

Do the dishes and have the kitchen clean for breakfast (or it will take an extra 20 minutes in the morning...don't have an extra 20 minutes in the morning!), and pick up all of the kids stuff and pile it up on the cubbies to put away...when??? THAT would be a good question! Then I get ready for bed, transport Chloe to her crib (still just a few feet from my bed...can't wait until she's ready for a real bed!) & lay down to unwind for a bit.

Then as I'm getting discouraged I get an e-mail with this video



and I decide that it's alllllll worth it and what MORE can I do?!

4 comments:

rebecca said...

Your house is so cute, Julie. I love it. I love this video you just posted. I put it on my blog as soon as I was done watching it. At first I thought it was a comedy routine, but was touched by the message....YES, all that we do and TRY to do is well worth it.

Candy said...

first of all, holy crap that you wake up so early! I would die.
Secondly, I can't believe all you get done before 8am.
What a busy woman you are, and you are such a good mom too.
Thanks for sharing...I'll have to post something about what I do too.

Cylee Pressley said...

Julie,
You are super woman. I am really impressed that you guys do scripture study in the mornings so early. My excuse for not starting is that Mike leaves to early in the morning, but it looks like your husband leaves at 6 am too. You have inspired me to do better.
Thank you for being so kind with your comments. Ellie is awesome and i am happy she is doing well with Jessica. And i am sorry it took me almost a 1/2 a year to get that treat to her.
Take care and I look forward to keeping up on you and your family.

Annie Jane said...

That was a very fascinating and worth-while read! Loved it. And do you know why it helps me? ...we want to have more children...and this day's breakdown makes me realize just what I am getting into. I want to know what to expect and what to plan for! And you know, I think I am okay with it. When you lay down next to Scott at the end of the day, you have to feel good about your hard work and commitment to your children. I think mothering has got to be the best kind of tired.
We do need our outlets though...I often get mine from church, too.
Raising a family is a beautiful thing. It's like what the woman in the video said...it doesn't matter if you are recognized, but that you do the work. And it really is the most satisfying work to teach and care for children and build up God's kingdom.