Just over 8 years ago my sister and I made a trip to a place I thought I would call home for maybe a year or two (that was a regular theme for us...one reason that it took us so long to buy our first house!). We had never had a house before...Boston was our closest opportunity when we rented a two-family-home, and before moving there we had a trailer (that's right...white trash and PROUD of it!). So more than anything I wanted to rent a HOUSE...and not share it with ANYBODY!
When Scott had first brought up the idea of moving to Reno I had thought that at least the cost of living would be a lot cheaper than in Boston...hah! you would think that wouldn't you?? I was SHOCKED at how expensive it was!
Do you know how hard it is to find a decent place to live where your kids will go to schools that speak English as their first language??? Well neither did I! We gave ourselves 3 days to find a place to live. I laugh when I look back at the places we thought about renting...who in their right MIND would live in those places!!! We looked at a lot of different houses and they were all in awful places. Then you would be driving through a nice neighborhood and your spirits would soar, and you would think, "this will be the one!" And then you would see a dive in the middle of paradise...hmmm YEP, here's the rental!
So we FINALLY bought our own house a little over 4 years ago...and it has TOTALLY looked like the rental of the neighborhood (okay not of the WHOLE neighborhood...but still looked like a rental with NO personality!)
Add trees & bushes and voila!! A START to some personality!!
Our house is no longer for rent! Still a lot of work to do...but at least we've made a start!! Still to come...shutters, upgrade in screen door, fix patchy lawn, flowers, bark....
(editor's note: The only one that knew we were getting the plants was Joslyn & when Austin got home from school he knocked on the door because he wasn't sure if it was his house!)
8 months ago








4 comments:
Wow! That makes such a HUGE difference! Now you need a little 'welcome' sign or something next to that front door :)
It looks great! Good work, and that is funny about Austin.
Looks like a new house....did Austin really do that...okay, he's a real man, don't notice the little things and the big things. Ha!
WOW, do I relate with you. We, too, have been renters for some time! This if our fourth summer here and we just planted some things in front...which I actually don't even like! I feel so uninspired and don't know what to do! But, like you said...it's a nice start! And it is refreshing to drive up to something! So glad to know a cute family like yours is in the same boat as we!
I like what you've done. I like the willow on the side (a willow, right?) and the big tree in front and the thingy that will have something viney growing up it (no, I surely am no botanist) and the bushes will frame in flowers nicely.
Post a Comment