Monday, November 2, 2009

Spooky Spectacular Stuff

The kids had fun on Halloween. Austin had a friend over for the night and then got together with some more friends later in the day and they messed around and then watched some movies together to kill the post-trick-or-treating-age-blues.
Chloe found a costume that she fell in L-O-V-E with & called herself a "Super Hero". Ellie could only find a black princess dress in her size so she became a zombie princess.
They enjoyed trunk or treating at our church on Tuesday as well as trunk or treating at the school on Thursday (Chloe had a BLAST handing out candy!), followed by a party (UGH can you say candy overload?!?!?!), and finally trick or treating around the neighborhood on Saturday.
The party at school just about did me in . . . I have never seen so much junk food in one place! And rather than having a buffet, they loaded up plates for the kids and had them at each of their place settings and then sent home all of the pre-packaged items in gallon sized bags. I let Ellie have some and gave her an extra shot at school. Then when we were loading up the gallon sized bags I had them leave most of the items out (one mom looked at me like I was the meanest mom on the planet---even AFTER I explained that she was diabetic! I really didn't feel bad about keeping my kid alive though).
After the party we had an appointment with our diabetes doctor & I was sure that our past two visits with low A1c's would be a thing of the past . . . it seemed like her blood sugars have been so high with starting school and being indoors so much more. What a surprise when it came back at 8.5!! (such an awesome score for a kid her age!!!)


Joslyn invited her friend over for some trick or treating and they were wonderful enough to take the two little girls around for us. Chloe didn't last very long (works for me!), but Ellie LOVED it!
When Chloe came back she would hand out the candy when the doorbell rang & then run back to the coffee table where she made herself a bed and have me lift her up on it. When Ellie got home and took over on the doorbell she really did fall asleep there.



Ellie was very excited to have a turn at the door handing out candy. At first she just stood by the door and then it got a little too cold to have it open and so we got her a chair and she spent the rest of the night sitting on her little chair staring at the door anxiously waiting for it to ring.

In other news. . .

After the doctors appointment we did a little shopping and then headed over to Rancho San Rafael Park to watch Austin help his cross country team place in the top 3 which qualifies the whole team to go to state!!! Had the team not won he would have qualified as an individual! His coach had told him a while back that he was improving so much that he might possibly qualify so we were so excited to see him fulfill that dream! He placed 21st overall (this was for varsity too), and truly did help the team qualify . . . it was a close race for 3rd place!

On the drive home from the race Ellie asked me,

"Mom, when I die and go to heaven will I still have diabetes?"

"Nope!"

"YES!!!"

8 comments:

Candy said...

that is so cute and so sad about Ellie asking about her diabetes in heaven. Melt my heart!
And hilarious that Chloe fell asleep on the table!
Go Fernley Cross Country! That is awesome for Austin! I did cross country all four years in HS. Us trumpeters have good lungs! :)

rebecca said...

Great Chloe passed out photo, Julie!!! What a riot!

What a sweet thought from Ellie....so precious.

Jason and Noelle Jones said...

It looks like your family had a great Halloween! How is everything else going?? Ellie is so sweet!

Sandra said...

God Bless little Ellie~ Never forget that dream I had of her. =)

BreAna said...

I love Ellie sitting by the door handing out treats. So cute. your girls look great.

Jessica said...

Chloe looks so grown up in her costume. Way fun stuff. Congrats to Austin. By the way I happened upon the Provo Craft factory outlet today but it is closed on Mondays, I guess there is always tomorrow and hopefully it is worth it.

Lindy Lewis said...

I loved this post Julie...it's so good to see what's new with your family and I loved all the pictures...
So precious of Ellie. I love it.
We miss you guys!

Jenn G. said...

I get tired just reading your blog...busy, busy mom! Enjoy those days! :-)
I love that, she was out for the night huh?!
What fun!