Monday, June 9, 2008

School's Out For Summer!!

The last week of school was SOOOO crazy! I'm not sure why everything gets made into such a big deal here . . . but we had graduation ceremonies for both Austin and Joslyn.



The weather was so hot here a few weeks ago . . . we already broke 100 degrees! Austin was supposed to go to the Wild Island water park last week for making his AR goal for the whole year and of course the weather turned cold, so they postponed the trip for a week. Wouldn't you know that it stayed cold for two more weeks! It was pretty nice that they gave the kids free passes to the park to go during the summer . . . I thought they would just be out a trip.



The last week of school Austin called and asked me to pick him up early every day . . . "they are letting you check us out!" Thursday (the 5th) was his graduation day. They had graduation gowns and everything. We had heard that it took about 2 hours. Chloe was sick with a cough and Scott didn't want to leave her with the girls for that long and so I went by myself (I'm sure the pictures would have been better if Scott had taken them because it's his camera and I haven't used it in ages!). The ceremony ended up lasting about 20 minutes!! (A new principal who didn't get into the speeches as much as the old principal . . . my kind of guy!) Afterwards the school puts on a big dance for the kids and it's a really big to-do, very much like my high school proms! Girls in prom dresses and some kids having limos and everything. (Give me a break . . . 8th grade?!) A group of us went on a mother-son outing instead. There were 5 boys and 4 moms, and we drove in and went to eat and then to see the new Indiana Jones movie. We got home at about 1:00 in the morning . . . it was a blast!



Then Friday morning Scott had to work and I went in to see Joslyn's "Advancement Ceremony". I was glad they didn't blow it out of proportion. They had a really nice slide show of pictures they had taken over the whole school year and then they had all of the kids come up and get a certificate. (I don't have any pictures . . . I got to the school and realized I'd forgotten the camera & didn't have time to run home and get it . . . although there weren't really great picture opportunities because I was too far away).


By Saturday Ellie had come down with Chloe's cough and her ketones were outrageously high. I spent the day checking her blood sugars every couple of hours and giving her shots (even in the night). Saturday evening we had a ward dinner and talent show. My kids had all signed up to be in skits and our family had one together as well as Scott and I being in one for the Primary Presidency. We didn't show up until the dinner was about done and then we quarantined Ellie and Chloe from everyone else. My friend had the sign up sheet and I asked her to move all of our talents to the beginning (so the first like 7 acts were the Bassett's!) Austin played Star Wars on his trumpet while a couple of little boys pretended to have a sword fight with their light sabers. Joslyn danced with a girl in her tap class. Drew had Austin, Joslyn and I do a skit with her, and the rest of us did a skit together. We started the show with our Primary Presidency doing a "Tammy Fae Makeover Party" and we had button up shirts that we had cut holes in the sleeves and we sat on our husbands laps while they put their arms in the sleeves and had to put makeup on us without seeing what they were doing. It was a riot I had tears streaming down my face by the time it was done from laughing so hard. We planned on leaving as soon as we were done and the girls wanted to stay and watch, so Scott took me, Austin and the little girls home and went back to pick up the other two. They didn't make it home until almost 10:00 that night!

We finally have Ellie's ketones under control and her sugars are back to a normal state and we're just dealing with the cough. We're heading to California with Ross and Jodi's family on Tuesday & can't wait to see them!!


That's all for now.

0 comments: