A few years ago my parents were serving a mission in Washington DC, so we took the opportunity to take our family on another visit to our nations capital. (I heart Washington DC!) I had been there a number of times as a youth...business trips with my dad (one time was shortly after my mom passed away and we all have fond memories of that trip and nightly gigantic sundaes at the hotel restaurant), with Close-Up in high school, with 4-H in middle school (that one my friend Jennifer Duke and I missed our plane thinking that it was on Sunday and not Saturday...they called and asked where I was and I replied "mowing my lawn" followed by a scramble to the airport...what an adventure!), another time we took our family there for a temple trip when we lived in Boston (that was our closest temple).
This time we packed up 4 kids to fly across country. It was the first trip we had taken with diabetes in our life. Ellie had been diagnosed in February and it was now April. She had only been walking again for about a month.
It was fun seeing all of the same things and taking my kids there. We did go out and see some new things as well. We drove out to Gettysburg and saw where all of the battles were fought...it was amazing!! At each stop they had different cannons along the grounds. The kids immediately ran to the cannons and we took a lot of fun pictures of the kids and even some fun family shots.




At the last stop one of the guides came over and asked us not to climb on the cannons. They were authentic civil war cannons!!! I felt sooo bad! I had no idea because there weren't any signs about them and they were EVERYWHERE
(I thought they were replicas put there for this very purpose!)
Apparently they now have signs there saying to not climb on the cannons.








1 comments:
gettysburg is on my MUST see list. I'll think of you when I see the cannon signs....lol.
Post a Comment